The Acid test
The Acid test: proven products for amazing skincare results
The words ‘acid’ and ‘skincare’ don’t seem to go together somehow, says Shobhana at Shobhana Beauty Studio, but many skincare products contain different types of acid that are safe to use and offer incredible benefits when it comes to tackling various skincare problems.
Understanding the two types of acid
Two types of acid are used in skincare products explains [add your therapist’s name]:
- AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) – these are water-soluble acids made from plants such as citrus fruits, grapes and sugarcane.
- BHA (beta hydroxy acid) – these are naturally occurring oil-soluble acids, for example, salicylic acid which comes from willow bark is a common ingredient in beauty products.
So how are the different types used for skin care?
1. Products containing AHA can be most effective to:
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines, age spots, melasma and scars.
- Treat enlarged pores.
- Achieve a more even skin tone.
- Treat dry skin.
- Combat the effects of ageing.
2. Products containing BHA can be most effective to:
- Treat acne.
- Clear pores.
- Reverse the effects of sun damage.
- Calm inflammation.
“Both types exfoliate the skin and can be found in products such as cleansers, toners, scrubs, peels, masks and moisturizers,” says Shobhana.
- AHAs are good for peeling away the skin surface and allowing new skin cells to form.
- BHAs can penetrate the skin more deeply to get rid of dead skin cells and excess oil.
“It is possible to use both types in combination, but always be careful when doing this to avoid dryness and irritation.” She adds, “Always ask us for expert advice when using products containing acids.”
Some typical acid ingredients
Shobhana at Shobhana Beauty Salon talks through some of the more commonly used acids:
This is an AHA derived from oranges and lemons and is used to exfoliate, clean pores, even out skin tone and make the skin feel smoother.
Another type of commonly used AHA, glycolic acid is made from sugar cane and used for exfoliation, anti-ageing and as a good general solution for a range of skin problems.
This is one of the key AHA anti-ageing ingredients in skincare products. It’s a plant-derived acid used to treat and prevent sun damage, fine lines, age spots and wrinkles.
As I mentioned earlier, this acid comes from willow bark and is the BHA usually used in skincare products. It’s used to treat acne, sun damage and age spots and to calm redness and reduce inflammation.
This acid isn’t actually an AHA or BHA, so the word ‘acid’ is slightly misleading says Shobhana. It occurs naturally in the body and is a very nourishing, hydrating and plumping ingredient used in moisturizers and serums.
Take professional advice…
With acid-based skincare products it’s always important to test out small areas of skin first when trying new products advises Shobhana at Shobhana Beauty Studio, so always have a professional consultation.
And you may need to be more careful with some acid products if you have dry or sensitive skin.
She adds it’s also vital to use at least a SPF 30+ sunscreen every day when using skincare products that contain acid as they can increase sensitivity and make you more prone to sunburn.
to book your free consultation to find out which products will best tackle your skincare challenges and how to use them safely. Our skincare experts will be able to advise you.